Thursday 9 June 2011

Friday 20th May 2011 - A Day In Beauvais And Home


Another bright day and I was up early to water the plants for the last time and pack my rucksack before tidying up Liz's place to make it look as if I hadn't even been. Last minute checks with regards the switches in the fuse box, checking the water taps, plus shutting the windows and locking up, left me time to visit Au Gamin for a quick coffee and then the walk to Gare du Nord.

Once there, it was down into Passage de Maubeuge, under all the platforms, and then purchase my ticket from a ticket machine. Then it was a simple matter of going up the steps to platform 21 where my train to Beauvais was about to depart. It was a double-decked train and once more I sat in the upper deck taking in all the sights on my way.

I arrived in Beauvais in time for lunch at Le Relais d'Alsace, 16 rue Pierre Jacoby and I decided on the moules marinières followed by une tarte fine aux pommes all accompanied by un demi pichet de vin rosé - it was my last day and I was going to enjoy it.

A visit to the gare routiére to confirm the bus times to the airport and the rest of the day was my own.

A wee daunder about the town centre was punctuated by wee rests on the terraces of various cafés, the choice of which was depending on which way the sun was shining more than anything else.

The Interior of Beauvais Cathedral

Statue to the heroine Jeanne Hachette
The day passed quickly and soon it was time for the bus to the airport. Once again it was the Ligne 12 - the local bus - and although I was going to be a wee bit early, there was still time to sit out in the sun rather than inside the terminal building itself.

Beauvais is not my favourite airport and the less time spent inside the better, but soon it was time to say "au revoir!" to France once again and the flight back was uneventful; unless a French stag party going to Glasgow is of any note - but they weren't too boisterous. Landing in Prestwick to 10 degrees was a shock to the system however!!!!.

If you care to view my photo gallery of this trip click here then click the slideshow button.

No comments:

Post a Comment